- Difficulty: Class III-IV
- Distance: 36 kms / 22 miles
- Number of rapids: 54
- Approximate river time: 7 hours
- Minimum: 2 people
- Minimum age: 12 years
Start this tour at either (a) Adventure Inn, or (b) your hotel on the southern Caribbean coast or (c) your hotel in the Arenal Volcano / La Fortuna area, and finish the tour at another of the three (a), (b) or (c) choices, moving forward, not backtracking. This way you get a great tour and not waste a day traveling!
Our overnight Pacuare Adventure is a paddle and hike expedition. Not only will we raft a variety of exciting rapids, but we will also hike to pristine waterfalls, fun swimming holes and primary jungles. This trip includes at least one hike a day, based on your athletic and adventure desires.
Different companies run the same stretch of river for one, two and three day trips. In order to give you better value for both your time and money, we use an upper put-in for our overnight trips, giving you an extra 6.5 kms / 4 miles upstream. This makes your first day on the river 100% longer, in addition to running twice as many rapids and having better hiking options. The first day we run 13 kms / 8 miles of continuous class III white water for a total of 14 rapids. Then we will arrive at our Pacuare camp shortly past noon on time for lunch, where you stay in a small cabin with a shared exterior bath. Afternoon activities include various optional hikes, fishing in the river, or relaxing in a hammock after breakfast.
After we pack our gear, our river descent continues. All of the class IV rapids are on this day, so now it is time to truly test our skills on the remaining 23 kms / 14 miles paddling about forty rapids. Two stops are made, one for an exploratory hike and another one to have lunch on the river.
At the conclusion we will take you to our Exploration Center. From here you have the choice of traveling to San José, the Arenal Volcano area or the southern Caribbean. You will leave your luggage safely on the bus and in their storage locker while you are on the river.
- First Day:
- 6:00 – 6:30 am Pick Ups at Adventure Inn, the southern Caribbean and Arenal Volcano area
- 6:30 – 8:30 am In route to Exploration Center in Siquirres
- 8:30 – 9:15 am Breakfast at the Exploration Center
- 9:15 – 10:00 am In route Exploration Center to River Put In
- 10:00 – 10:45 am Preparation for Descent: Safety orientation-paddle practice
- 10:45 – 1:45 pm River Descent including a hike
- 1:45 – 3:30 pm Arrival at Pacuare Tent Camp to enjoy a delicious lunch
- 3:30 – 5:30 pm Guided hike or free time on the hammocks
- 5:30pm Happy Hour!
- 7:30pm Dinner
- Second Day:
- 7:30 am Breakfast
- 9:30 – 2:30 pm River Descent including lunch and a hike
- 2:30 – 3:30 pm Arrival at Exploration Center to shower and change clothes
- 3:30 – 5:30 pm In route Exploration Center– Adventure Inn, southern Caribbean coast and Arenal Volcano area
- INCLUDES: Transport from one destination to the next (Adventure Inn, or your hotel at Arenal Volcano or the southern Caribbean), service of professional guides, gear, one night of lodging, happy hour and five great meals.
WHAT TO BRING? Swimming suit on, light shoes that will stay on, long sleeve shirt or rash guard, water bottle, change of light clothes, towel, sunscreen and insect repellent, binoculars, wind breaker, flash light and personal toiletries.